Reading the Bible
by J.C. Ryle
1. READ THE BIBLE WITH AN EARNEST DESIRE
TO UNDERSTAND IT.
Do not be content to just read the words of Scripture.
Seek to grasp the message they contain.
2. READ THE SCRIPTURES WITH A SIMPLE,
CHILDLIKE FAITH & HUMILITY.
Believe what God reveals.
Reason must bow to God’s revelation.
3. READ THE WORD WITH A SPIRIT OF OBEDIENCE
Apply what God says to yourself and obey His will in all things.
4. READ THE HOLY SCRIPTURES EVERY DAY.
We quickly lose the nourishment and strength of yesterday’s bread.
We must feed our souls daily upon the manna God has given us.
5. READ THE WHOLE BIBLE AND READ IT IN AN ORDERLY WAY.
“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable.”
I know of no better way to read the Bible than to start at the
beginning and read straight through to the end, a portion every
day, comparing Scripture with Scripture.
6. READ THE WORD OF GOD FAIRLY AND HONESTLY.
As a general rule, any passage of Scripture means
what it appears to mean.
Interpret every passage in this simple manner, in its context.
7. READ THE BIBLE WITH CHRIST CONSTANTLY IN VIEW.
The whole Book is about Him.
Look for Him on every page.
He is there.
If you fail to see Him there, you need to read that page again.